Happy: A Quest for Life After Death

Monday, August 07, 2006

The Fine Line

Here's a picture of Mat on his birthday (two weeks ago), blowing out his candles with Ian's help. This picture is the only documentation we have of his hairless phase. It's been about six weeks since Mat's last chemo treatment, and he's letting his hair grow back in!

We're enjoying the last week before Mat's surgery -- doing home repairs. We really know how to have a good time.

In all honesty, we watched the entire first season of Lost on DVD over the last two weeks before doing any work ... Don't start it unless you have a lot of spare time. I liked a quote from one of the show's characters, a religious woman: "There's a fine line between faith and denial. It's better on my side." I can relate.

The thought for today is from something the great philosopher, Mat Burnett, talked about yesterday during fast and testimony meeting. His latest hospital roommate, an elderly man with a heart condition who complained a lot, inadvertently taught him the importance of gratitude.

In reflecting on this lesson, he said: "We're not entitled to a lot of the things we think we're entitled to. The things we are entitled to are a lot more important."

Discuss amongst yourselves.

3 comments:

Hank said...

I like Mat with no hair! Muy macho! I love you and will be fasting for you on the 14th.

Hank

Heather Parry said...

Kimberly-

Even though I am about 15 months too pregnant to fast for you tomorrow I will be praying for your family and Dr. Tanabe.

On a lighter note, I'm stoked that you got into Lost. I love that show. Season two is even better. Maybe you can watch it in the next few weeks as Mat recovers.

Thinking of you.
Heather

Anonymous said...

Taylor and I both enjoyed Mat's testimony on Sunday...thought provoking and enduring.

We hope that we contributed to the "Fat Line" with yummy food Taylor and I both enjoyed Mat's testimony on Sunday...thought provoking and enduring.

We hope that we contributed to the "Fat Line" with yummy food delectables...

Hugs,
Stacey...

Hugs,
Stacey