Happy: A Quest for Life After Death

Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Chemo Holiday

Mat's latest scan results show that his cancer has started to "grow through the Sutent," meaning the medication Mat has been taking is no longer shrinking the tumors in his liver and lymph nodes. Mat did get three months out of Sutent -- better than a bunt single -- but even Dr. Ryan wouldn't call that a home run. I'm thinking it was a double.

$#?&@*%!

(Rest assured that $#?&@*%! does not mean anything that can't be said over the radio. If it did, I would have to pay my co-worker $1. In an effort to clean up my language, I've asked him to collect money every time I use certain ... vocabulary. He's saving it for a contribution to Heifer International at the end of the year. I'm hoping for the sake of my mouth to have only enough for a flock of ducks ($20), and not enough for a whole cow ($500). But to be honest, if things don't turn around soon, I may have enough for two whole cows ($1,000).)

The upside is that Mat gets a "chemo holiday" -- a break from taking any kind of medication -- for the next month.

Although there's no obvious next strategy to take, there is a tentative plan: wait for a clinical trial of an mTOR inhibitor (translation: drug that interferes with cell growth) called Rad001 that should start in mid-July. We should find out in a few days whether Mat is likely to qualify.

Let's hope he does qualify, and that it's not a hook shot from center court.

11 comments:

ellen said...

I'm glad no one was benefiting financially from my "swears" a few years ago.

Hang in there, K. :)

Colleen Goodsell said...

I'm so sorry to hear the news. We'll be praying for you and your family. What a roller-coaster ride you're on! @#$%*! sums it up very well.

lambie-pie said...

Kimberly-
Do the swears you think in your head count? I don't usually say them out loud, but I think them all the time- that's really just as bad, right?!
Thinking of you,
Elisabeth

SLP said...

Taylor starting a collection bottle for me as well since now we have a little one who listens intently... (psst - it hasn't been very effective)

You are ALWAYS in our thoughts and prayers.

Hugs,
S

The Soulier Family said...

You are quite a family and we love you!

Rebecca said...

I think it was Alecia Wil.... or Megan Wal... from the Arl. Ward who told the following mission story... She had a particularly difficult day. She was exhausted and didn't know how she would be able to make it through physically, emotionally, spiritually. She was spent. She and her companion were riding their bikes and they came to a hill. She did her best to work her way up the hill, just praying to be able to make it to their destination. She felt she could not make it on her own. Just as she closed her prayer, she felt her ride get easier. She turned around, and found that her companion was giving her a boost on the ride.

K, I hope that you continue to feel the strength of prayers and service from ALL who love you...me included:) We'll be fasting with the AW this Sunday.

Amy D said...

Kimberly,
I just received the link to your blog from Ellen. I am so, so sorry to hear your news. I had no idea you guys were going through this. We will definitely be fasting for you and your sweet family on Sunday. We're praying for you and hope everything goes well.
Love, Amy Duke (we were in the AW five years ago)

S said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
S said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
S said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
S said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.