Happy: A Quest for Life After Death

Saturday, June 21, 2008

A Walk In the Woods



This is not a photo from our recent trip to England, but a family photo by the famous Ellen as evidence that we're slowly recovering from jet lag. We were all up at 4:30 a.m. on Thursday, a little closer to 5:30 a.m. on Friday, and 6:30 a.m. today. A few more days and we'll be back in familiar territory.

The vacation had its rough spots -- nearly being hit by a bus while trying to leave the Heathrow Airport springs immediately to mind -- but altogether was a great trip. The kids were suitably impressed by Warwick Castle and the Woburn Safari Park (where monkeys scrambled over our car); Mat found the National Motorcycle Museum; and I got to see lots of English countryside and historical houses. And eat fish and chips ... lots and lots of fish and chips.

The highlight for me, though, was motoring around Manchester and Liverpool, where Mat served his mission, and attending church in Hyde, where we met several people who remembered Elder B. I channeled my inner radio show host (think Ira Glass) for the trip, and interviewed Mat ad nauseum for mission stories using a digital voice recorder (thanks Sarah!).

Almost as good was coming home to a clean house with fresh flowers and dinner. We have such great friends!

4 comments:

contigo said...

What a great trip! I also love the picture of your family. It is absolutely beautiful.

Maybe Brazil can be your next trip!!

Pippy said...

Great pic! I've been to that ward in Hyde, what a great place to serve a mission and go back to reminisce as a family! :)leah cox

EmilyCC said...

Such a cute family picture! Ellen always does such a nice job.

I'm so impressed that the kids did well in England (the idea of taking mine is giving me chills).

SLP said...

I am glad you had a great time and returned home safely.
My mother taped us as small children and I cherish hearing our little voices (including me picking a fight with my little sister who interrupted my primary talk)...
Memories