Happy: A Quest for Life After Death

Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Salvation in a Sausage

Sometimes everything is black.

There is nothing good about life, I rage in my head (and occasionally out of my head) as I mechanically go about my sometimes overwhelming list of chores. I felt that way a couple of weeks ago while I was making dinner.

Then I took a bite. Italian sausage with peppers and onions sauteed in a splash of balsamic vinegar (Mat's inspiration) on a lightly toasted split-top roll with ketchup and mustard. Even better than at Fenway.

The spicy-sweet snap reminds me that there are good things about life, especially when those Italian sausages were delivered to my doorstep in a white cooler from Omaha Steaks, one of the dozens of examples of untiring friends who take pains to brighten our days. Suddenly things are not quite so black.

Sometimes there is a little bit of salvation in a sausage.

(And for the record, I feel the same way about those dark chocolate almonds.)

7 comments:

ellen said...

and TP...from EP...

Emily said...

That must have been a serious sausage.

Heather Parry said...

Ah, the momentary healing powers of food.

Did it make you want to sing "Take Me Out to the Ballgame?"

SLP said...

We stopped by on Saturday morning for a spur of the moment visit - next time I will call ahead.

Had Trader Joe's coissants on Saturday and thought of you.
FOOD IS LIFE!

amydear said...

Just caught up on everything from the last month or so. Glad you can find joy in little things. Sorry Mat's had more problems. I'm with you on just about dark chocolate anything. Mmm.

Trent, Sherie, Adam, Bridget & Baby! said...

Ah those tender mercies--especially yummy ones! I am seriously considering attempting to duplicate that.

Eve! said...

LOL..I feel the same way about BACON!!!