Happy: A Quest for Life After Death

Friday, July 02, 2010

Finally

Three long weeks after starting radiation, Mat is finally done! He had a higher dose this time than in his previous two rounds, because there were two places to radiate instead of one, and it showed. Mat has been really tired and had to rely more on taxi service for his daily appointments than his motorcycle. The radiation has helped, though -- he's walking better and in noticeably less pain than before.

Today we're meeting with Dr. Ryan to go back to the drawing board for a new chemo regimen for all those tumors we can't radiate. It looks like there's a clinical trial that Mat may be eligible for -- hopefully we'll find out today. It's amazing that every time we think we're at the end of the list of treatments to try, Dr. Ryan always seems to have something up his sleeve.

In between radiation appointments, we've stayed busy watching Ian's baseball games. He had fun this season trying his hand at pitching, and his team won the town championship for their division. (Ian was just happy to get a really big trophy.)

5 comments:

SLP said...

NICE BIG TROPHY!
I think you dserve one too :)

EmilyCC said...

Fingers crossed on another clinical trial...perhaps with a 4th of July theme? I'm thinking something about fireworks or canons, though I'm still partial to that 5-FU one :)

Heather Parry said...

The 5-FU always makes me laugh and then I think of this gene mutation that I have that had a hand in causing some of my miscarriages. It's called MTHFR. No kidding.

Here's hoping that Mat is eligible for the clinical trial! (I'm lifting my Diet Coke toward my computer screen and now taking a drink. )

We had a very similar baseball season here, which ended in Aidan's team winning the town championship. I can't believe how happy that made me. Simple joys.

lifeinredshoes said...

Chin up!

Sweeney Household said...

CONGRATULATIONS, IAN! You are quite the star. :)