Happy: A Quest for Life After Death

Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Greatest romance of all time


This is the talk I gave at Mat's funeral. I'm glad I spoke, although I'm surprised I could get any words out.

* * * *

When I was 25, and he was 26, Mat and I attended the same singles congregation. Despite the fact that the congregation was not that big, it took us a few months to meet. I was dating a blot named Andrew at the time, so I was a little elusive at church, showing up late and leaving promptly at the end. Mat had noticed me, though, and he and his friends dubbed me “Tall Mysterious Kim” or TMK. (This was before he learned to call me Kimberly.)

The nickname distinguished me from the woman Mat was dating, whose name was Kim. She was 19, so she became “Teen Kim.” My alternate title was “Geriatric Kim.”

Mat and I finally did meet, and both Andrew and Teen Kim were quickly dispensed with.

Mat totally changed my life. He was tall, good looking, funny, smart, and deeply spiritual. Never in my wildest teenage dreams had I imagined someone as wonderful as Mat. At first I tried to hide all my flaws from him, but he was totally honest with me, and I quickly learned that I could be totally honest with him.

We were engaged four months after our first date, and married nine months after that. From the beginning, I felt that our relationship had a fairy tale quality to it, although we didn’t exactly get married and live happily ever after.

I think it’s fair to say that much of the last 13 years has been very, very stressful. There were months of full-time travel for Mat, job insecurity with the tech bubble burst, miscarriages, and, of course, nearly six years of cancer.

Despite these stresses, the last 13 years have been happy. Of course we fought sometimes, but Mat has been completely devoted to me, and I to him. We have loved being together, had fun together, and trusted each other. And even when chemotherapy and cancer made him miserable, Mat figured out how to be a good dad, and he has two beautiful boys who want to be just like him.

Despite all the hard things we faced together, I also knew from the beginning that God had a hand in our relationship, and that we really were meant to be together. One of our bishops said to us, “The Lord is pleased with your union.” I believe that is true, and that our relationship will go down in history as one of the great romances of all time.

Someone said, quite accurately, the problem with death is that the person is just so gone.

That resonates with me, and yet I sense that the leavening that Mat added to my life is not gone. A lot of this has to do with how Mat lived his life over the course of his illness, and especially at the end. He felt at peace, and he worked very hard to make his passing as gentle as possible for many of us, having dozens of conversations to say goodbye and comfort those of us who are heartbroken that he is gone. I think he also waited to leave – suffering many extra months – until I was as ready as I could be for his passing.

Mat believed, and I firmly believe, that we will see each other again, that we will be a family again. That can feel like cold comfort when I expect that reunion to be 40 or 50 years from now. But the miracle is that I feel the power of the plan of salvation right now. I feel a comfort and peace that I didn’t expect.

I don’t pretend that the weeks, months, and years ahead will not be very, very hard. I cannot do anything but take one day at a time or I might drown. But God is with us, His hand is still in our lives – maybe more now than ever – and over the last few weeks I have felt that every day.

Elder Uchtdorf said that ultimately every story has a happy ending. I believe that. In a very real way, Mat is not gone. Our fairy tale will have a happy ending.

11 comments:

ellen said...

Your talk in writing is as wonderful as it was at Mat's funeral. Thanks for sharing it, now and then.

One Woman's Thoughts said...

I have checked back every few days after Mat's passing to see if you had been on your blog at all. ANd you weren't. I thought often about you and Mat and your children. I knew it was a hard time and also one of incredible faith, wonderful memories and support from people that love you. I still will keep you in my prayers and you will still come into my thoughts. I wish for your life, many good things to come and am so glad you wrote today. Your words now honor the love you nurtured together.

Jenn Jenson said...

Thanks for posting this. We were so lucky to hear you speak at the funeral, although I don't know how you did it. It's equally touching to read the words.

I'm thinking of you often.

Sarah said...

Thank you for sharing! We think of you guys often and hope you peace and good memories! Sending love from afar!

Jennifer said...

You did a great job! I enjoyed hearing your love story and it reminded me a lot of the love I feel for my hubby.

EmilyCC said...

I'm so glad to know the story behind TMK. I suspected it was a good one :)

What a lovely tribute to your's and Mat's enduring love.

~laurie said...

Thank you for sharing this. It is beautiful tribute to Mat and the love you shared. I continue to pray for your family daily.

The Proud Llama said...

Thanks for posting! This is beautiful. And it's good to hear from you - I check on this blog regularly to get some news from you.

SLP said...

Like Emily, I am also glad to know the story behind TMK...
Love the tribute.
Love you.
Great to hear your voice this week.
Hugs,
S

Rachel Morrow said...

Thanks so much for sharing, Kimberly! God certainly gas given and continues to give you incredible strength. I am so glad that you two found each other and also believe all stories have a happy ending, eventually . . .

Positive Thoughts said...

Love lifts us up where we belong. God bless you. Read interesting posts on my blog and share them with your friends. You can also support my by visiting my sponsors by clicking on one of the ads.