Happy: A Quest for Life After Death

Sunday, May 29, 2011

Seriously?

If you don't already know my mom, let me tell you about her.

A journalist by training, she was the first woman ever to work on the copy desk at the Salt Lake Tribune. She got married and reared four children, wrote books, wrote articles for the Oregonian, and produced much of our family's food on our 11-acre plot. She taught a daily hour-long early-morning scripture class for high school students for four? five? years, earned two master's degrees, and spent a long career at Intel.

And when Mat got sick, she visited every two or three months, staying as long as I would let her so she could wash my dishes, do my laundry, and play Candy Land for the seventeenth time in a row with Colin. I could go on for a long time about my mom.

She was diagnosed with cancer a few weeks ago. Extensive surgery was required to remove a large mass from her abdomen, and several organs were casualties of the operation. There is no indication that any cancer remains, and there is nothing to do now but wait and see if it recurs.

I will freely admit that I am freaking out. I feel like I'm watching an instant replay of 2005, the year Mat was diagnosed. Rare type of gastrointestinal cancer? Check. Major surgery? Check. Surgeon says the cancer is gone? Check. Cancer recurs?

I'm trying not to go there in my mind, but it's hard.

The difference is that I'm thousands of miles away, and I feel completely and utterly powerless. Seeing the situation from this side of the country is eye opening. Now I know what it's like to never feel like I have quite enough information, to never be sure when, if ever, is a good time to call, and to want to simply be there in person.

I hate it.

I want my mommy.

14 comments:

ellen said...

Life isn't fair.

One Woman's Thoughts said...

Life often dosen't make any sense.

I think we will all forever still want our mommy.
I know I do.

Big hug to you.

Large Marge said...

Oh, Kim. You, of all people. I can't believe it. "Seriously?" is the right title for this post.

aly said...

Ugh. That really stinks! I'm so sorry.

Sweeney Household said...

I am so sad to read this Kimberly. I remember well the day my mom told me she had cancer. All I could think was, "NO. Not BOTH parents." She survived.

Enough is enough. Prayers are going up to heaven with FERVOR for you.

lifeinredshoes said...

You know that saying that God never gives us more than we can handle?
That person never experienced MORE.

The Proud Llama said...

Aw, crapz, that really stinks! Will keep your mom in my thoughts and hope for the best! Hang in there!

EmilyCC said...

Kimberly, I'm so, so sorry to hear this.

SLP said...

Kimberly,
UGH. THIS SUCKS!>!?!
My heart is aching for your right now...
Sending you a deep, long hug filled with lots of chocolate!
Love
Stacey

Rachel Morrow said...

I love your mom, too! She is amazing and you do her proud!
I love your new intro to the Blog.
One silver lining on a very dark cloud is that maybe you'll get to visit OR more!

Anonymous said...

Oh *&#*#*(($(#*!!! Kimberly!?? I can't believe this. I know your mom is Superwoman, so all I can believe is that somehow she will Superpower through this like she so gracefully powers through life. My whole heart and soul pray that this is indeed NOT any replay.... NO WAY. Keep your faith! I don't have much, but I have it when it comes to your mom!!!!

XOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOX- Luna

Emily said...

i think you are entitled to a few more "damn"s.

Daniel L. said...

be strong woman

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.