Happy: A Quest for Life After Death

Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Thanksgiving


I'm thankful for my kids, and for my friend Amy, who made this quilt for me out of some of Mat's shirts. As she said, "If Mat can't wrap his arms around you, at least you can wrap this quilt around yourself."

The day Amy came over to help me choose shirts to put in the quilt was an emotional day. It was hard to let the shirts go -- the crisp blue and white ones Mat wore to work, and especially the soft plaid ones he wore at home. I've been told that all of Mat's things will someday not seem like so much a part of him and become just things. That day hasn't come yet, so I cried with Amy over the shirts.

But now they're back, and someday when Mat's shirts become just shirts, this quilt will not be just a quilt. It will always be a memorial to my best friend Mat and to the kind of friendship that sees me through the day.

10 comments:

Eileen Perry said...

You and the boys have been in my thoughts all morning. For you, I am thankful that you have such a good friend that made that beautiful quilt.

Take care,
Eileen

lifeinredshoes said...

What a thoughtful gift, and one that will be cherished, just like the man that wore them :)

ellen said...

I love the quilt!

EmilyCC said...

What a treasure (Amy AND the quilt)!

Heather Parry said...

Thanks for sharing. The quilt is beautiful both in looks and sentiment. God bless Amy.

Jenn Jenson said...

What a wonderful gift!

Anonymous said...

YEAH! I am so glad!!! I love this idea and am so happy that one of your friends was able to make it for you. It looks soft and beautiful and very Mat-like!

I love you, Kimberly. I think of you so very often and send you tons of hugs and best wishes and prayers. My only sad regret is that I am not around for you. Life in Western MA is pretty swell, but it lacks a certain... you know... Kimberly! That is what I miss most about Boston. xo- Loonie

SLP said...

A beautiful gift and sentiment!
So glad your boys can be enveloped by Mat :)

Rachel Morrow said...

Absolutely beautiful, especially wrapped around your boys! What a great idea, Amy! I wish I would have thought of it; if you need another, I love to quilt . . .

World Famous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.