Happy: A Quest for Life After Death

Friday, January 06, 2012

Lost and Found

I found the missing diamond from my wedding ring this morning.

You might remember from a previous post that I lost the diamond from my wedding ring in late August -- almost five months ago. The boys and I were on our way out of town for a camping trip when I looked down at my hand on the steering wheel and realized that my ring was ... empty. The white gold band was there, the four prongs that held (or were supposed to hold) the princess-cut diamond were there, but the diamond was gone.

I pulled the car over and started hyperventilating. Then I calmed down. I decided I didn't want to ruin our camping trip worrying about the diamond.

That was more easily said than done, but there were some encouraging developments. For instance, in my sister's dream the previous night, she lost her diamond and found it in the middle of her living room carpet. Surely this was a sign: I would find my diamond in the living room. Then during a stop on our way, I instructed Ian to search the fully packed car for the diamond. When I got back to the car, he was sitting peacefully in his seat, not looking. He reported that he had prayed about finding the diamond, and received a firm answer that it was not in the car.  Surely then God would tell me where it was.

Although that didn't stop me from searching the car later, from top to bottom, as well as all the clothes and camping equipment packed inside the car.

It wasn't there, so I got home from the camping trip fully expecting to find the diamond. I didn't. Then I scoured every carpet on my hands and knees, swept every floor, moved furniture, inspected kitchen and bathroom drains, and searched the garage, where I had been packing the car for the camping trip. Nothing.

So I quit looking. I decided that if God said I would be all right without my ring, then I would.

Then this morning I went for a walk. I was multi-tasking, of course, chatting with my friend Amy about the merits of Costco (Soviet-style grocery store or happy place? discuss amongst yourselves) on my cell phone. As I approached the house to enter through the garage at the end of the walk, I looked down and there it was.

My diamond was in the driveway for almost five months through a storm (August), snow (October), and a very thorough leaf-raking (November).

I started shouting at my friend on the phone: "AMY! I JUST FOUND MY DIAMOND!" Then I called my sister and shouted at her for a long time "YOU'LL NEVER GUESS WHAT JUST HAPPENED TO ME!" In her excitement, she shouted at her kids for a long time ("KIMBERLY FOUND HER DIAMOND IN THE DRIVEWAY!") until they asked her to stop. Then I called some of my other people, who I didn't shout at because they were at work and because I was getting hoarse.

Every time I think about my found diamond, I laugh and marvel at it. I think the sheer improbability of it qualifies this as a miracle. Discuss amongst yourselves.

20 comments:

ellen said...

One of the best miracles, EVER!

amydear said...

Yeah! Good thing diamonds are so strong. Practically indestructible. And thank goodness it's been a mildish winter, huh?

Jenn Jenson said...

Yay! That's wonderful news.

Janna said...

This made me cry. Miracle, indeed.

aly said...

That's crazy! What a great way to start the year.

WinnyNinny PooPoo said...

A true Miracle - discussed already amongst ourselves!!!! Fantastic!

The Proud Llama said...

Very happy for you! SOOOO great!

Costco is the opposite of a Soviet style grocery store - there is TOO much on the shelves, not too little! Also, in Soviet style grocery store you would have to shmooze with the shopkeeper over and over to make sure you got your fair share of whatever new thing came in. Costco employees are anonymous (but at least they have better benefits than Walmart employees).

My two cents! :)

Danielle said...

Congrats! That is truly amazing, and that you saw it now. My heart leaps for joy for you.

Jennifer said...

That is so GREAT!!!

I am so happy for you! Really! I am sooo happy you found it!! : )

Dean said...

Amazing!!! I love your attitude. "I'm not going to ruin this camping trip"

Also - I almost pee'd myself with "Costco soviet style groceries store or happy place" I loved those skits on SNL and I have to vote soviet style groceries.

Krista said...

No possible way!!!! I can't even believe it. Outside--in the driveway--in the winter? How did you even see it?

Oh, and definitely Soviet-style grocery store.

EmilyCC said...

Tell your car and troublesome home appliances...it's about time for inanimate objects to start behaving for you!

Anonymous said...

YES! This is the best thing that has happened all year (and actually, last year too)!! YAHOooooo!!!!
I will try your approach and see if it works for me: give up looking for what I am missing and try not to ruin the trip.

Darn! How many times do you think you walked right past that princess-cut diamond and didn't see it? I am probably walking right past my mind each day and just haven't noticed!

xoxoxoxo Your Fan and Friend Forever, Loonie

Amy said...

I needed to read your miracle story today. Thanks!

Rachel Morrow said...

So happy to hear the good news! You deserve lots of happy surprises this year . . .

Ju Jiang said...

We just need to believe in miracles

lifeinredshoes said...

I thinks it's a sign :)

SLP said...

God's special message to you...
A.W.E.S.O.M.E. story.
Wish I was there to jump up and down with you!
Hugs
S

World Famous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Michelle said...

miracle!!!